Ray Brown is my undisputed favourite bass player. His feel, sound, solos, lines – it’s all fabulous. I often transcribe his lines and licks and try and incorporate them in my own playing. Check him out with his trio with Gene Harris and Jeff Hamilton, or with Oscar Peterson’s trio of course. Here’s a sample: this is Ray’s solo feature on the changes to “How High the Moon” on the Live At The Stratford Shakespearean Festival” recorded in 1956. Listen here.
- Spotlight on Wood Street Jazz Festival - mailchi.mp/95a43db47066/n… 4 days ago
- Jazz Funk and Jazz in the Park... it's nearly June! - mailchi.mp/2aa95892d27c/n… 3 weeks ago
- Tuesday's Jazz Cafe: A Tribute to Tony Bennett and Bill Evans - mailchi.mp/90c10be04a65/n… 1 month ago
- Iain Ballamy at the Pavilion - mailchi.mp/02b75d1455e1/n… 1 month ago
- May's Jazz Highlights - mailchi.mp/ab6f0cd01b38/n… 1 month ago