Ray Brown is my undisputed favourite bass player. His feel, sound, solos, lines – it’s all fabulous. I often transcribe his lines and licks and try and incorporate them in my own playing. Check him out with his trio with Gene Harris and Jeff Hamilton, or with Oscar Peterson’s trio of course. Here’s a sample: this is Ray’s solo feature on the changes to “How High the Moon” on the Live At The Stratford Shakespearean Festival” recorded in 1956. Listen here.
- Coming up at Guildford Jazz - mailchi.mp/852356d90c30/n… 5 days ago
- Guildford Jazz Spring Programme - mailchi.mp/e81c0cb7427e/n… 3 weeks ago
- Next week's Jazz Cafe with saxophonist Tony Woods - mailchi.mp/20cb95d195fc/n… 1 month ago
- The Cheryl King (Hirst) Trust - mailchi.mp/ea97ee43f6d2/n… 1 month ago
- The Cheryl King (Hirst) Trust - mailchi.mp/35c7a619945d/n… 1 month ago