Ray Brown is my undisputed favourite bass player. His feel, sound, solos, lines – it’s all fabulous. I often transcribe his lines and licks and try and incorporate them in my own playing. Check him out with his trio with Gene Harris and Jeff Hamilton, or with Oscar Peterson’s trio of course. Here’s a sample: this is Ray’s solo feature on the changes to “How High the Moon” on the Live At The Stratford Shakespearean Festival” recorded in 1956. Listen here.
- Next week's Jazz Cafe with British Jazz Legend Stan Sulzmann - mailchi.mp/8662f19f7b39/n… 5 days ago
- Final reminder for Wednesday night with BBC Young Jazz Musician of the Year Alex Ridout - mailchi.mp/50f6b11b9cb8/n… 1 week ago
- Autumn Season opener at the Pavilion - mailchi.mp/b9c6d4616663/n… 3 weeks ago
- Shades of Miles at next Tuesday's Jazz Cafe - mailchi.mp/10404b6ac98e/n… 1 month ago
- Guildford Jazz Summer Events - mailchi.mp/e62302786d0e/n… 1 month ago