Ray Brown is my undisputed favourite bass player. His feel, sound, solos, lines – it’s all fabulous. I often transcribe his lines and licks and try and incorporate them in my own playing. Check him out with his trio with Gene Harris and Jeff Hamilton, or with Oscar Peterson’s trio of course. Here’s a sample: this is Ray’s solo feature on the changes to “How High the Moon” on the Live At The Stratford Shakespearean Festival” recorded in 1956. Listen here.
- Invitation in memory of Cheryl King - mailchi.mp/ab9f25efa2ec/n… 4 days ago
- Freddie Gavita and Chris Allard at the Pavilion on Wednesday - mailchi.mp/9e135cfd104d/n… 1 week ago
- Jazzy New Year Highlights - mailchi.mp/9df97913f480/n… 2 weeks ago
- A Swinging Christmas! - mailchi.mp/6dbf2b7582dc/n… 1 month ago
- December's Jazz Cafe! - mailchi.mp/8c54937d33e2/n… 1 month ago